Thursday, December 29, 2011

Change is not a Destination, It is a Journey

I can't believe I haven't posted in my blog since October. Things have gotten a lot better for me personally. I had a bout of depression after finding out I have Interstitial Cystitis. The wellbutrin just wasn't cutting it so they added cymbalta to the mix which made a big difference. As far as eating healthy, while I did still manage to take one Metformin a day, I pretty much ate like crap for the past 2 months. Think I have gained back about 10 of the 25 that I lost. I guess its just part of journey I've been on my whole life. When you have PCOS if you slip up even for a small amount of time you can put on a lot of weight very quick because our bodies don't process insulin the way a normal person's body does. I'm not crying over the 10 lbs. I expect I will probably always gain a few pounds during the holidays. We should just accept that instead of beating ourselves up about it every year. I'm not entering any beauty competitions any time soon. My focus is just on my health. Women with PCOS have a huge risk of diabetes, heart disease, and infertility. I would like to prevent those as much as possible.

So the plan for the new year. Is to make small changes every day that will hopefully within a few months equal up to me dropping the holiday weight I gained and hopefully more from there. So I am going to start with breakfast. I am going to make it a habit to eat oatmeal and eggs every morning. Also I am going to start taking my Metformin two times a day. Eventually I will work myself back up to three times a day. Here are other changes I will be making slowly over the next couple of months.

. walking 20-30 minutes each morning
. figuring out what kind of healthy meals I can eat for lunch and dinner that adhere to my IC diet
. waking up earlier to give myself more time in the morning for myself
. cutting out processed sugar except for maybe one day a week
. trying Yoga and meditation
. adding a fish oil supplement to help my cholesterol levels and my overall heart health

Those are just some ideas. It's not a crazy diet or a insane workout plan. I will slowly introduce 1-2 things each week or two, until hopefully I have made doing them all a habit. If I feel myself getting overwhelmed I will take a step back. I also will only weigh myself once a week at the same time. I don't want to make this about numbers on a scale, but I do need to weigh myself to track my progress. I read somewhere that those people who weigh themselves at least once a week have on average lower BMI's than those people that don't. Makes sense.

So change really is not a destination, it is a journey. There is no time limit on this change. Of course I have goals that I want to reach, but along the way new goals can come up. You don't get to a point and say "ok I am done". We are never done changing. Every day cells in our body die and new cells are born. We by our own nature change constantly. We are creatures of change and I am learning to embrace that.

No comments:

Post a Comment