Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Four Part Balancing Act

I have a read what feels like a million articles on PCOS. I have seen many doctors and I think I finally have it norrowed down the plan that is going to get me back to healthy. It is a four part plan. A balancing act if you will.

1. Diet
2. Exercise
3. Medication
4. Supplements

1. Diet

  Since people with PCOS are insulin resistant, the best diet to follow is a low carb high protein diet simlar to the kind of diets doctor's reccomend for diabetics.


2. Exercise

  Exercise helps with insulin resistance. It also helps with cardiovascular disease, which is a side effect of PCOS.

3. Medication

  Metformin, Progesterone, Estrogen, and Sprinolactone

4. Supplements


 I am still researching this further, but definitaley fish oil to help fight inflamation caused by weight gain and insulin resistance. I want to reseach more into homeopathic treatments for PCOS, which may include natural hormone supplements.


Also important is accountability. Seeing my doctor every 3 months to have lab work done and to monitor my progress. Also accountability to myself. There is no magic pill that fixes PCOS. The treatment is a combination of medication and lifestyle changes. In order to get better I have to get myself better. No one is going to do that for me. It will take sacrifice and discipline. It will be a hard and slow process, but the reward is so much better than the alternative. It isn't just about weight. It isn't just about fertility. Its about my overall health in general, and in the bigger picture my over all happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment