Monday, May 9, 2011

The Slow Carb Diet Slowly Working

My mother has lost 30 lbs in 3 or so months in the slow carb diet. I am very inspired ! This marks the 3rd week of the slow carb diet I am down 6 lbs. So that is 12 lbs from where I originally started about a year ago. Not the progress I wanted. I hoped for more, but I failed to deliver. There are days I wake up and I feel very motivated and I tell myself it doesn't matter how long it takes or how many times I have to start over. And then there are days where  I feel sorry for myself for having PCOS for having gained 80 lbs and for having to even eat a certain way. For having it be so damn hard to lose weight. I just want to be better. Time goes by so slow but its gone too damn fast. I don't want to live the rest of my life this way. I want to be happy and I want to be healthy. For anyone thinking of doing the slow carb thing here are the pros and cons.

The Pros

If you are taking metformin like I am you no longer have sugar interaction with the drugs and therfor will see a dramtic decrease in nausea vomitting and other unpleasant stomach problems

You don't have to count calories you simply stick to certain foods

Meals are simple one lean protien one bean/legume and one vegitable

Results -- the average person will lose 2-3 lbs per week

Cheat Day! One day a week you get to eat anything and everything you want - its like a celebration of food and you still lose weight

The Cons

you have to give up fruit, carbs, dairy, etc.

Beans at every meal is very strange and hard to get used to

Cravings - if you have a sweet tooth there is only so much sugar free jello you can eat before you find yourself with a pint of Ben and Jerry's in your hand

Sometimes cheat day seems so far away .......


I plan on sticking with this way of eating if for no other reason than I am no longer sick off the Metformin. To me the weight loss is an added bonus. They have quadrupled my estrogen pill so other than making me crazy while I adjust, I am hoping it doesn't put a stall to my weight loss. This first week on the new pill I didn't lose any weight. The two prior weeks I lost 6 lbs. 4 lbs the first week and 2 lbs the 2nd week. My body may just need time to adjust. I am hopeful. I appreciate all the kind words from friends and family who have been through this rollecoaster ride of diet drugs and fertility issues. It is good to know we are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment