Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Diet: What I Am Eating


We all know how important diet and exercise are to living a healthy and happy life. This could not be more true for women with PCOS, Interstitial Cystitis and Depression. Because of our bodies messed up endocrine system, it is highly recommended by all the health journals I have read and doctors I have talked to - to consume a low glycemic diet. Here is a bit about low GI diets from WebMD:

The glycemic index has been a popular weight loss tool to help dieters lose weight. Also referred to as the glycemic index diet, GI diet, and low glycemic diet, it is the basis for many popular diet plans, such as South Beach, Nutrisystem, The Zone, Sugar Busters, Glucose Revolution, and Ending the Food Fight.
The glycemic index measures carbohydrates. The index is a list of how blood sugar levels rise after you eat a small portion of a carbohydrate food.
fruits and vegetables
Originally, the index was developed as a tool to help diabetics manage blood sugar control. In theory, if it works to help control blood sugar in diabetic people, then it should work for weight control.

For the whole article, here is the link: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/glycemic-index-diet

This way of eating, works well for both Sean and I, since he has diabetes and I have PCOS. We both have insulin resistance, just from two different diseases. The best thing though, is that with proper diet and exercise Sean can cure his diabetes and I can control my PCOS.

A typical day's meal plan would go as follows...

Breakfast
3 eggs
2 strips of bacon
coffee

Lunch
Salmon salad
(fresh cooked salmon over a bed of Romaine mix lettuce with flax or sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and a small sprinkle of feta cheese and a vinaigrette dressing)

Dinner
Grilled Chicken
Bean Medley (black beans, pinto beans and white beans cooked together)
Broccoli, Peas or other green vegetable

Snacks
NUTS!!! Almonds are the best
I like to go to the local health food store and stock up on trail mix as well
sugar free jello
a piece of whole fruit i.e. an Apple
Celery sticks with peanut butter
Whole Fruit Smoothie - frozen strawberries, pineapples, mango, peaches mixed with Rice or Almond Milk with Splenda to add sweetness
sugar free chocolate - vanilla swirl pudding with a spoon of peanut butter in a bowl

I do not count calories, I simply eat when I am hungry. However, if you find after a few weeks that you are not losing 1-2 lbs a week, it is smart to keep a food journal. You very well may find that you are eating more than you think.

I also take one cheat day a week. I do this for many reasons. One is that staying on a diet is HARD, having a day off to quench that craving helps one from feeling like they cheated and then going on a binge. Also, it helps boost your metabolism. If you aren't eating enough, your body goes into starvation mode and it doesn't matter how healthy you eat - you won't lose weight. So give yourself a break and take one day a week to eat what you want - within reason.

Supplements are also important. I take three different kinds. All are made by New Chapter. They are 100% organic and top of the line. They are very expensive in the health food stores, but if you go to Amazon.com you can get them for 25% of the price. *** I am in no way affiliated with New Chapter, I simply recommend their brand from my own personal use *** I take:

Every Woman Daily Vitamin once in the morning once at night. Beyond the normal A-Z vitamins it also offers Herbal Blends that offer immune, stress and hormonal support.

I take New Chapter Whole Mega Fish Oil once at night before bed - Fish Oil is super important for women with PCOS because 1. we have a high risk for heart disease and 2. we have inflammation and fish oil helps reduce that


And, I take New Chapter Diet & Energy once in the mornings. My depression causes me to be very lethargic. I have gone as far as being prescribed Ritalin and Adderall. Those drugs are poison. You might as well go smoke crack. I am trying to regain my energy through diet, exercise and natural supplements.

 
 
To help with my digestion I take Acidophilus Pearls with my night medications. My mother actually reccomended these. They help to keep you regular, which is important since women with PCOS should not eat dairy and also because high protein intake can lead to irregularity. Buy these on Amazon as well - they are half the price than at the store.




I also take prescription Metformin, a diabetes drug that helps control insulin levels. And, I take prescription Spironolactone, a drug that reduces testosterone levels. It is the over abundance of testosterone in women with PCOS that causes acne, excess hair growth in places we don't want and excess hair loss such as Alopecia and Male Pattern Baldness.

I am not a dietitian or a nutritionist, but I have gone to many. I also have read countless amounts of material on PCOS. The biggest thing is finding the right combination of foods, supplements, medication and exercise for you. We are all unique beings on our own individual journey. Good luck on yours !


No comments:

Post a Comment