Monday, May 13, 2013

Weddings and Weight Loss

There is nothing like a good old fashioned wedding to motivate you to get your butt in gear and lose some weight. Also, Sean, my wonderful common law husband -  soon to change my last name soul mate, is having problems with an enlarged liver and spleen. They have ruled out hepatitis and medications and think it is from obesity. This really is life or death for us to get healthy. If Sean and I are going to take control of our health, we are going to have to do it together. We need each other's support. And, it really helps to have everyone in the household on the same healthy eating plan to prevent slip ups. If you are trying to get healthy too, I highly recommend a health buddy. It can be anyone. If you don't have someone, join an online forum like weight watchers or try joining http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/.

 Sean and I have made some significant progress over the past 6 months, but now it is time to kick it into high gear. We both lost about 30 lbs in October 2012, when we both came down with mono.  But then in late December we both gained back a few of those lost pounds. Two weeks ago we started eating a low glycemic diabetes and PCOS friendly diet. I also got off of the birth control pill, to prepare for us trying to start a family after the wedding. Don't worry mom, I promise not to get knocked up before the wedding. It's 2013, but I respect your wishes - 'cause I love you. But the baby thing is another topic we shall bring back up in about 6 months. The wedding is December 1st, 2013. That means Sean and I have 29 weeks to lose weight. We are hoping to lose 1-2 lbs per week - so 30-60 lbs additional by our wedding date.

 So far Sean has gone from 302 lbs to 272 - for an impressive 30 lb weight loss. He lost 6 lbs in the past 2 weeks. MEN. ugh. But I am happy and proud of him. I am down from my high of 283 lbs to 256 lbs. That is an impressive 27 lbs. I lost 4 lbs in the past 2 weeks. We both have lost about 10% of our body weight so far. One of my motivations is this beautiful dress I ordered for the wedding, which I have hanging in my closet.

Here is what it looks like on a human being.....
I think it is much prettier in person. 100% pure silk, blush color with lots of lace details. Love it!

Now when attempting to lose weight, it is very easy to get discouraged. We went to visit my mother, who is sick with stage four breast cancer, and at the end of the day we took a photo. Everyone looks fantastic and happy and I look like a cross between the Michelin Man and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

I wanted to badly to un-tag myself, but I know this photo means a lot to my mom, so I sacrificed my pride and let it stay out there for all of Facebook to see. And now all of blog land can see it too. Even after losing 27 lbs, I still don't recognize myself. I've got a long way to go.
You know, I think it is ok to embrace whatever we are feeling. I know some people would say, "oh you have to stay positive" But, if I don't address the fact that I truly feel like I look like a cross between the above two pictures, then I am going to bottle it up inside, get frustrated and give up. I think it is much better to be open about how I feel and get a good laugh at myself.

 Weight loss is hard. Especially for people with PCOS and Diabetes. Add chronic pain and depression and its an extra steep up-hill climb. So if you are reading this and you know me and you wonder "What can I do to help" I would say, just a nice "Good Job" when I post our weight loss. Or a "Don't Give Up" if I have a bad week. If you are reading this and you are on your own weight loss journey and/or also have PCOS, chronic pain and depression, I would say "It is ok to feel whatever you are feeling. Don't be afraid to be honest with yourself and others. Pretending you are happy when you are not may pass the time, but it doesn't change your situation. Only you can change your situation and make a happier - healthier life for yourself". That is what I am working on. Changing my life for the better.



No comments:

Post a Comment