Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Reasons People Lose Weight

"If losing weight were easy we'd all look great"

"I wish I was as thin as I was when I thought I was fat"


So what is it with people, why are we always trying to lose weight? I'm not going to argue that American's are overweight, but it seems like people who are healthy weights still complain and wish they could change. You know who I am talking about that size 5 friend who looks great but is always complaining they wish they were a size 3. I'm not going to lie, I've been that friend. I wonder if I had just stopped, gotten off the yo-yo diet train, maybe I would still be a size 5. Who knows? There is no way to know. But, it can't be healthy.

I think the problem is that people try and lose weight for the wrong reasons. Primarily as a physical goal to look better. I think if you lose weight for the right reason, i.e. health, you have a much better change of losing the weight and keeping it off. I also think that you have to set realistic goals. Going on the cabbage soup diet for a week or two is a recipe for disaster. I'm not going to lie and pretend that I am happy with the way I look, but I had to come to peace with myself before I was able to begin this journey. My goals are realistic. I don't need to be a size 3 to be happy, any size is fine by me as long as I am healthy and happy with how I look and feel.

So the next time I hear someone complain about how fat they are -- be careful I might just tell you what I really think ! And also, be kind, if the person sitting next to you weighs more than you than you might want to rethink your fat comments, you may just be hurting their feeling without realizing.

If you do want to lose weight, do it for the right reasons, and you may be suprised with the success you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment