Thursday, August 11, 2011

More Progress...

I have now lost 10 lbs. Down to 227 from 237 in a month. That's my biggest, quickest weight loss in years. Last year when I went from 232 to 214 it was real slow, about a lb a week. I am attributing this to the following factors.

1. Not drinking. I am saving hundreds of empty calories a day, and my liver. ;)
2. Taking my medication. My doctor suggested I break the Metformin in half and just take it more through out the day, to help prevent side effects, and it has worked. Less side effects, means I don't skip my medication and in turn the medication actually has a chance to work.
3. Loss of appetite. Now this one I am not sure of. It is either from depression or the medication, or a combination of both. I am still eating 3 meals a day, but I'm just not as hungry. I find often I don't finish a whole meal.

Now there are going to be a few changes.

1. My doctor has changed the Metformin I take to the ER version, which is the Extended Release kind, this should also help with side effects. Hopefully I can get to a point that I can take a whole pill at once and not get sick. They do say you build up a tolerance for Metformin over time for the side effects, but most people I have ever spoken to who are on or have been on Metformin simply hated the drug, but loved the results of weight loss and restored fertility.
2. My doctor has increased my spironolactone from 50 mg to 100 mg. This is the drug that lowers my testosterone levels. Last time I saw her she raised my estrogen and progesterone to a .5 mg and 1 mg pill, which is a very high dose. It took a while to get used to, imagine going from have an estrogen count of 9 when the normal is 300-500. My doctors goal is just to get my estrogen to 100.

So we are back to the balancing act. I had to stop and take care of myself. I had to admit my demons and take care of me. Next week I go back to work. I am armed with lists and lists of coping skills. I know there will be hard moments, but I have to just keep on trucking. I have 5 things that are my top 5 things: Sean, Sobriety, Health, Work, and Gardening. These are the things that come first in my life, and need to be carefully balanced in order to keep me healthy - mentally and physically.  Health is very important, and definitely belongs in the top 5. PCOS would fall under that health category. So there are things I must do to keep healthy. Eating right. Exercising. Taking my medications. Stress management. Using healthy coping skills. Relaxation. Meditation. Journaling. Etc. As much as the superficial part of me is so ashamed of how I look, and how let myself get to out of control, more importantly, I want to be healthy. I want to prevent diabetes, heart disease, infertility, hair loss, obesity, depression, etc. I try not to even think about the fact that I may not be able to have children. I figure what is the point in future tripping. But, the fear is there, in the back of my mind. I hope this year - 28 - is better than 27. I hope I keep to my resolve to make these changes, to do the daily things I need to do to make them happen. I've got on all my gear, and I am ready to climb this mountain. The right mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment